Our lives are never perfect so why do we expect our art journals to be?
This Sunday I will be teaching a class that focuses on some simple tricks to keep that inner critic at bay while creating a soothing art journal page featuring a trio of lotus blooms.
While we create, you will immerse yourself in having some colourful, painty fun in your art journal. We will paint, stamp, stencil and sketch away to create a page that will bring a patch of calm to your weekend.
If you already art journal – bring along your usual kit, if not check the requirements list below for a guide on what to bring. You will need an approx. A4 sized journal to begin with – please check in store for details.
- I will provide you with the reference images of lotus flowers that I have used. If you would like to paint something different please bring along some images to use and you will need a main image approx. 13cm across plus a single or two smaller images approx. 4cm across. Profile type images will work best.
- a couple of your favourite stencils, some with open patterns plus text, numbers or words
- Liquitex white gesso
- texture paste
- palette knife
- approx. 1” wide brush
- variety of smaller brushes including a small fine one
- graphite paper or similar if you wish to trace a flower instead of drawing one
- pencil & rubber
- Stabilo pencil if you have one
- black permanent pen
- white Sharpie paint pen or white gel pen
- matt acrylic paints in warm & cool colours plus a deep blue and black (Distress & Dylusions paints are perfect). You will need the main colours for your flowers plus some others that are in the opposite colour family.
- small sponges for paint
- texture type stamps if you have them. I have used chicken wire & mesh from Darkroom Door.
- clear Versamark ink & white embossing powder if you have them.
- non–stick craft mat
- baby wipes
- paper towel
- container for water
- heat tool
Bella Paperie is located at Shop 33, 302 South Pine Road, Brendale. Phone 3205 5911 to book. Class runs 10am – 2pm, May 7th and costs $30 with some supplies provided.
2 thoughts on “Perfectly Imperfect – Lotus bloom art journal class”
Wow, that looks fabulous. Wish you lived closer to me!
Thanks Susan! I love teaching mixed media to these ladies, we have so much fun. One day I’ll get organised & put some videos up on YouTube again.