One of my favourite mixed media artists is Julie Fei-Fan Balzer – I love her style and fearless use of colour and images within her work. Julie’s branded stencils with A Crafters Workshop is growing and I particularly love the newly released collection. Recently Julie is doing a series of blog posts on using a limited number of supplies and I was inspired to create this page.
1. Journal – my Strathmore Mixed Media journal can take everything I through at it, especially really wet media.
2. Liquitex Modelling Paste – a staple for my mixed media play. It can add texture but also adds a different surface to a page allowing me to carve into the wet or dry paste for more texture.
3. Liquitex Matt Gel Medium – the best ‘glue’ for adding collage elements to an art journal page. The matt finish means there is less chance of seeing where the glue went down.
4. Stencil – love the versatility and instant pattern that stencils give to a page. In my book, you can never have enough stencils!
5. Faber-Castell Gelatos – my ‘go to’ supply for bursts of colour.
6. Darkroom Door stamps – what can I say, I love them! The brand has so many different options available in backgrounds, text and image stamps that I can always find one (or more) to suit the project I have in mind.
7. Ranger Archival inks – the best ink for stamping, sponging and adding some grunge to an art journal page as they are totally waterproof.
8. Black Posca Pen – these pens come in a range of nib sizes and colours and perfect for going over bumpy mixed media projects.
9. Dictionary Pages – these pages came from an old French dictionary and I use English ones as well. I have a couple of different ones around with different text sizes & fonts and pages in different states of aging.
10. Tissue Paper – perfect to stamp onto and then add to the project. Saves that nail biting moment of being sure you stamp clearly onto a textured page!
I was extremely excited to see that Julie has included my page in our round up this week! You can check it out here.
Do you art journal every day? I’d love to see a link to your blog if you have one to share with me in the comments!