Everybody loves cupcakes, especially when they come packed with flavour! Sadly, the cupcakes on this page won’t be edible but they will be a treat for the eyes.
Why not join me this Sunday in my monthly art journaling classes and create this sweet page with me? If you are a beginner, I’ll teach you the basics and if not then I’ll help you extend the skills you already have.
This month, our page will be full of the texture of ripped papers, stencilling and a surprise or two. Class will focus on creating texture through collage and I’ll share some alternative designs for those who wish to play with the technique further.
We will be working in an A4 sized journal and please have on hand –
- Thin collage paper in ‘cupcake icing’ colours plus some neutral colours. Offcuts of scrapbook or cardmaking papers, book pages, old maps or your own mono printed papers will be perfect. I will have some on hand to share. If you have the time, prepare some of your scraps by ripping them into small pieces, no bigger than a 5c piece. You will need neutral colours for the patty paper & cake stand, yellowish papers for cake, two shades of pink papers for icing & a bit of red for a cherry. You will only need enough of each colour to cover the surface of each section.
- 2-3 acrylic paints for background – I have used a pale yellow, green & blue
- 2-3 stencils with open patterns for background
- 1-2 stencils with small patterns for background
- A variety of paint brushes
- Black charcoal pencil. A Stabilo or black watercolour pencil is another option.
- Pencil, rubber
- Fine scissors for fussy cutting wording
- White gesso
- Liquitex Matt medium
- Matt gel medium (only if you have it, I will have some to share)
- Sponge for stencilling
- Paint palette – one with separate wells will be very useful
- Paint spatula
- Non–stick craft mat
- Spray bottle for water
- Baby wipes
- Paper towel
- Container for water
- Heat tool
N.B. For this class we will be using DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics for the main part of the project and we wil have some paints available for use in class. If you have your own fluid acrylics, please bring them along.
Bella Paperie is located at Shop 33, 302 South Pine Road, Brendale. Phone 3205 5911 to book. Class runs 10am – 2pm, February 4 and costs $30 with some supplies provided.